Friday, September 27, 2019

10 Movies To Get You In The Halloween Spirit

As I'm sure you're aware, we are just a mere 34 days away from Halloween, my absolute FAVORITE holiday! I figured this would be a good time to put together a list of 10 movies that are sure to get you ready for this most bewitching season! 

I would like to think that I am somewhat particular when it comes to scary movies, and although I will watch anything in front of me that has to do with spookies, I'm not about to recommend something I wouldn't personally watch a second (or thirteenth!) time.

Without further ado - here is my list, and in no particular order!



Image result for sinister1.) Sinister (2012)


Sinister had several parts that had me peeking out between fingers, afraid of what was about to happen next. Although there are several jump scares in this film that are expected, it never happens quite when you think it would. That, combined with a powerhouse ending, makes for a movie you absolutely have to add to your horror movie repertoire.

Sinister is centered around a writer who moves his family into a house with a terrible, dare I say it, sinister, background. After he finds some objects in the attic belonging to the former tenants, he realizes there's no turning back, and absolutely no escape.

This movie for me was original, had a phenomenal ending and that's what sets it apart from other movies in the same genre.


Image result for the descent2.) The Descent (2005)

This is one of the few movies that when I watched it, I actually screamed out loud. I was in college at the time, and it caused not one, but two RA's to come in and make sure everything was okay. This later led to my roommate and I being banned from watching scary movies. Anyways, I digress.

The Descent follows 6 women as they go spelunking in a cave system, in an attempt to cheer up one of their friends who just lost her family in a tragic accident. It happens in the first couple of minutes of the movie, I'm not spoiling ANYTHING!!

What they find in the cave, or more so, what finds them, is something I'm not going to go into detail over. If you have no idea about the synopsis of this movie, don't even google it - just watch it. Watch it somewhere dark, where you have a security blanket, and you probably want to make sure you empty your bladder before beginning.

This movie is dark, claustrophobic and brings to light the question of: "what the hell would I do in this situation?"


Image result for as above, so below3.) As Above, So Below (2014)

As Above, So Below really brings the question into light, if I had free reign to go anywhere in the Paris Catacombs, what would I find? Probably nothing good, and that much I feel confident in saying!

This movie follows a woman's quest to finish her father's alchemical work and find the philosopher's stone of legend. She enlists her former lover, a camera man, a tour guide, and a few others to help her search the catacombs for more clues in regards to the stone. But as it horror movies usually go, nothing goes as planned.

For me, As Above, So Below really went above and beyond my expectations. Being another found footage movie, I was expecting bad lighting, shaky camera angles and a need for Dramamine afterwards, but not with this film. In fact, its originality has secured its place in my overall, absolute top 10 horror movies.


Image result for the strangers4.) The Strangers (2008)

Now granted, I was 15 when I first watched this movie, but it gave me bonafide nightmares for at least a month, and made me afraid of windows at night. I grew up out in the sticks, with the closest neighbor about a mile away, with large bay windows surrounding the downstairs, so there were many nights with closed curtains and a sense of impending doom: all from this movie.

The Strangers tells the story of a couple's vacation home getaway becoming a fight for survival when they become terrorized by 3 masked strangers. The writer/director drew his inspiration directly from the Manson Family murders and the Keddie Cabin Murders, making this literally one hell of a ride! If you're interested in a little backstory, you can check out the Wiki pages for either of those, as a precursor for what is sure to be a venture that makes you look over your shoulder when you're home alone in the dark.


5.) Hereditary (2018)
Image result for hereditary


This here is a film that has everything I look for in a horror movie: originality (that much should be obvious at this point), tension, shocks, and realistic characters. Although this movie runs at just over 2 hours, I didn't even feel the time passing as the movie began to roll.

Hereditary follows a dysfunctional family who is trying to get through a time of grief after their matriarchal figure passes away. As they begin uncovering more and more of their ancestry, they struggle to realize that there is no way to outrun fate.

There is something to be said about the actors/actresses in this film. There are moments when the family breaks out in arguments and screaming matches, and the acting is absolutely top notch, you could cut the tension in the film with a knife. Toni Collette is beyond brilliant, and the ending of this film is well worth the wait, if you even notice a wait.


Image result for paranormal activity6.) Paranormal Activity (2007)

*Embarrassing admission time*

When I went to the theater to see Paranormal Activity with my boyfriend at the time, the only thing I heard about this movie was that the budget was $11,000 and having never seen a found footage film before, I had expected it to be a real documentary-type movie. No matter how naive I was, Paranormal Activity is one of the first of its kind, at least that I ever realized, so it was a brand-new experience for me - and mildly scarring.

The story involves Katie and Micah, a couple who are living with what they assume is a paranormal presence, so they begin recording themselves daily - going about their routine, trying to figure out what is wrong with the house, and even *gulp* sleeping. I think the most harrowing parts of this film are when the camera is rolling while our unsuspecting couple sleeps through what can only be described as an absolute haunting.

This movie has another wonderful ending, and for being so original for its time, it has forever scored a place in my horror-movie heart. Paranormal Activity is bound to be more scary for people who have an over-active imagination like yours truly!


Image result for the vvitch7.) The VVitch (2015)

I have a very soft spot for witch-based films, so when I saw that The VVitch had come to Netflix, I watched it the first chance I got. I was not ready for this movie AT ALL. Now, if you're someone who thinks that horror is equal to gore and violence, this might not be the movie for you. Although there are some pretty gruesome parts in the movie, I think a vast majority of it is more about the wonderfully dark imagery, the bewitching (the crowd groans) story-line, and again - the killer ending.

The VVitch tells a story of a family in New England in 1630 who have been excommunicated from their village due to their father figure not agreeing with the church heads. So they strike out into the wilderness to build a new home and a new life, struggling through the hardships that come to anyone living in the 1600's. Oh yeah, and there may or may not be some dark magick afoot.

I usually have to watch movies several times before they really stick with my memory (I am the human equivalent of a goldfish), but this movie has stuck with me since my first viewing.


Image result for the cabin in the woods8.) The Cabin In The Woods (2011)


Out of all of the 'scary-type' movies I have on this list, this movie is more of a horror movie with comedy sprinkled throughout. The story is your pretty typical group of people (your stoner, your jock, your 'easy' girl, etc etc etc) who go up to a cabin in the woods, but that's about as much as is typical in this movie. From there, the story gets ramped up to about a 13 pretty quick, with a brilliantly evil backstory that leads to one of the most underrated endings (in my opinion) in movie histories in a LONNNNG time!

This one has more of your gore, more of your violence, and has a twist that will definitely have you coming back to watch it again, scanning for something you might have missed!

Oh yeah - and did I mention it has CHRIS HEMSWORTH in it? #Drooling


Image result for dead silence9.) Dead Silence (2007)

I hate dolls, I hate dolls, I hate dolls, I hate dolls, I hate dolls. This movie seriously creeps me the fuck out. It's to the point where I will not watch it anymore, because it isn't worth the nightmares (even to this day!). But to me, that just makes it a fantastically scary movie to add to this list!

The story follows a man who ends up with a mysterious box containing a ventriloquist dummy at his doorstep, which brings nothing but mayhem with it. In an effort to figure out more about the doll, he takes it back to the original ventriloquist's hometown, only to find that she has a history that's darker and more depraved than he could have ever imagined.

This movie comes complete with a plethora of dolls, a scary-ass old woman, tension-filled silences, and yet again, another ending that you will not be able to shake!


Image result for v/h/s10.) V/H/S (2012)

Okay, so I have to admit, I might have recently developed a small crush on found footage films. There's just something so capturing about feeling like you're in the moment, you're right behind the camera, following into the action whether you want to or not. I feel like if it is done properly, it completely adds to the experience.

NOW - V/H/S is something close, but in a league of its own. The story follows four men who break into a house to steal valuables when they come across a room filled with V/H/S tapes, and one seriously ancient tv set, complete with dead occupant. As they begin to watch the films, each one plays, significantly more horrifying than the last.

This movie isn't exactly a home-run, but what it misses in some categories, it makes up for in others. Like brilliant originality, diabolical characters, and a film style that just adds to the ambiance.


Now that you've got some new movies to experience, it's time to grab that blanket, curl up with a pet/human-person/pillow and turn down the lights! Happy Hauntings, my friends!


*All images in this post are movie posters which I am taking zero credit for - you can never be too careful!




No comments:

Post a Comment

The First Photography Collection

I mentioned in my intro post that I will be working on showing some of my photography off as well, and I'm please to announce my first e...